Sparkman & Stephens “Edlu II”

“Edlu II” Specifications:

Current Name “Black Watch”, ex Tabor Boy, ex Edlu II

LOA: 68′ 0″
LWL: 48′ 0″
Beam: 14′ 7″
Draft: 9′ 3″
Design Number: 218
Rig: Yawl
Displacement: 76,700 lbs
Sail Area: 2,125 sq ft
Designer: Sparkman & Stephens
Built By: Henry B. Nevins, City Island, NY
Original Owner:
Current Owner:
Launched: 1938
Sail Number: 71

 
 
 

By Lars Forsberg

In the way of background, BLACK WATCH (formerly EDLU II) was built in 1938 for the Schaefer family of Larchmont , NY. Construction took place in City Island at the Nevins Shipyard to the design of Sparkman and Stephens. This was the first design that S & S tank tested.

In 1941 the Schaefer family loaned the boat to the US Navy. She performed coastal security patrols (Corsair Fleet) during WW II. Winning a battle flag for scaring away German U boats off the coast of New England.

The Schaefer family donated the boat to Tabor Academy in 1947 and the boat was renamed TABOR BOY. Tabor Academy sold her in 1954 to Dr. George Brooks. Dr. Brooks owned her for 51 years and sailed her out of Larchmont Yacht Club.

In the Fall of 2005 several New York Yacht Club members came together to buy and restore BLACK WATCH. Everything possible has been accomplished to return her to first class condition with an emphasis on keeping her as original as possible including :

replacing 2/3 of the bottom planking (installing all new thru hull seacocks)
refastening the hull
replacing the deck (rebuilding all of the deck furniture)
replacing the wiring and electrical systems
restoring/rebuilding the galley stove
replacing the plumbing and fresh water systems (installing a shower)
replacing the engine, shaft and propeller
replacing the electronics (navigation)
new heads
new interior cushions/upholstery
new standing and running rigging
new sails
new safety gear (life rafts, MOMs and PFDs)

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.