Sail Number: USA L-27 3
Type: L-27 Racer-Cruising Sloop
LOA: 40’0″ / 12.19m
LWL: 27’6″ / 8.38m
Beam: 9’6″ / 2.89m
Draft: 6’0” / 1.82m
Designer: Alfred E. “Bill” Luders, Jr
Current Owner: Scott Bridge
Yacht Club: Portsmouth Yacht Club
Year Launched: 1955
Built By: Luders Marine Construction Co., Stamford, CT
Hull Material: Wood
Displacement: 18,000 lbs./ 8,165 kgs
Ballast: 7,000 lbs. / 3,175 kgs.
Sail Area: 800 ft2 / 74.32 m2
Luders Marine Construction was founded by Alfred E. Luders in 1908, in Byram CT, but moved in 1912 to Harbor Drive, in Stamford Harbor. After his father’s death, Mr. Luders continued to run the shipyard, building the America’s Cup boat Weatherly in 1958 to the design of Philip Rhodes. Weatherly was not a successful campaigner in that series, but after a redesign by Mr. Luders, she successfully defended the cup in 1964 with Bus Mossbacker at the helm. The yard is now operated by Brewer Yacht Haven Marina: see it from the air on Google here.
A pioneer in molded hulls, the L-27 was one of the prime attractions at the NY Boat Show. Originally Luders made their own mandrels and hulls then had Allied Aviation Corporation, of Cockeysville, Maryland build them, with Luders completing them in jigs.
The L-27 at the time, was the largest molded plywood boat built in the U.S. The vessels were devoid of joints, requiring no caulking, with smooth frameless interiors.
The Wall of Remembrance – The Owners, Crew & Notable Guest:
Owner: Donald Cohan
Owner: Scott Bridge