George Owen ORIOLE IV

Type: 31-metre Ketch – Sail Training Ship

Oriole V Specifications:

LOA: 102’0″ / 31.08m
LOD: 91’0″ / 27.73m
LWL: 63’0″ / 19.20m
Beam 19’0″ / 5.79m
Draft 10’0” / 3.04m
Hull Number:
Designer: George Owen
Original Owner: Mr. G.H. Gooderham, Commodore of Toronto’s RCYC
Current Owner: Royal Canadian Navy
Year Built: June 4, 1921
Built By: George Lawley & Sons, Neponset, MA
Hull Material:
Displacement: 92 tonnes
Sail Area: 6,133 sq ft
Contract Cost: $100,000

 

Historical:

Oriole was originally laid down as Oriole IV, the successor in a line of vessels named Oriole that were in service as the flagships for the Royal Canadian Yacht Club of Toronto, Ontario. During the Second World War she was chartered by the Royal Canadian Navy as a training vessel. In 1949 she was again chartered by the Navy as a new recruit training vessel, and subsequently moved to Halifax, Nova Scotia, in 1951. She was officially commissioned HMCS Oriole 19 June 1952, and two years later the navy moved her to CFB Esquimalt to become a training vessel to the Naval Officer Training Centre.

In 1957, the RCN purchased her for $14,500. HMCS ORIOLE is both the oldest vessel and the longest serving commissioned ship in the Canadian Navy.

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.