Fife “Fulmar” Specifications:
Type: 8 Metre Class * LOA: 48′ 6″ / 14.7m * LWL: 30′ 0″ / 9.14m * Beam: 8′ 3″ / 2.51m * Draft: 6′ 0″ / 1.83m * Displ: * Sail Area: 820 sq ft * Hull Number: 785 * Rig:Sloop * Designer: William Fife III * Built by: Fife, Fairlie, Scotland * Restored By Fairlie Restorations * Year Built: 1930
Fulmar (yard number 785) was designed and built by William Fife at Fairlie. Completed in September 1930, Fulmar was never raced by her commissioning owner who sold her to R B and J S Aspin for entry in the 1931 Seawanahaka Cup trials.
Known Racing History:
1934 – 1936 – Seawanahaka Cup winner
Fairlie Restorations – ” The hull was found to be in poor condition and following renewal of the wooden keel, the grown and steamed frames were also replaced. The bilge stringer and beam shelf needed only local repair whilst the whole hull was re-planked. This was fastened in the traditional way; copper riveted to the steamed frames and screwed to the others.”
“The deck was replaced in teak, and the fittings were replaced using patterns made from the remaining originals. No winches were fitted, and her deck layout is totally original.”
“With the intention of resuming her racing life, no engine was fitted and the rig was replaced following the original sail plan and specifications. Following her relaunch in 1995, she has been kept and raced in the Mediterranean, where she is a regular and successful competitor at the classic yacht regattas.”