William Fife III ALTAIR

Sail Number:

Vessel Type: Gaff-Rigged Topsail Schooner

LOA: 133′ 10″ / 40.79m – LOD: 108′ 4″ / 33.02m – LWL: 77′ 9″ / 23.71m – Beam: 20′ 4″ / 6.20m – Draft: 13′ 11″ / 4.25m – Original Rig: Gaff-Schooner – Hull Number: 789 – Construction: Wood – Designer: William Fife – Original Owner: Captain Guy H. MacCaw – Built: 1931 – Year Refit: 1985-87 Southhampton Yacht Services – Built By: William Fife & Son – Current Name: Altair – Flag: United Kingdom (GB) – Location: Marine Traffic

 

Historical:

Sandeman – Named after one of the brightest of stars ALTAIR’s near mythical status in the classic yacht world is all for very good reason – this yacht has become the standard bearer for the cause of authenticity since her landmark restoration in 1987.

William Fife III may have saved his best until last. Commissioned as an ocean going cruising boat for the southern seas and her designer’s last big boat, Fife could not help but create a blend of breathtaking beauty; fast safe and totally capable.

ALTAIR built by William Fife & Sons at Fairlie as yard number 789, was launched in May 1931. She was effectively a descendent of the famous fleet of big yachts that had revitalized schooner racing around the turn of the 19th century – William Fife’s own CICELY and SUZANNE having been notable members of that fleet. More specifically, ALTAIR’s origins lie in her first owner Captain H. MacCaw’ desire for “a sound, safe cruiser; safe to go to the South Sea Islands with no difficulty’ thus expressed in his brief to William Fife in 1929.

In the event the elderly MacCaw never undertook the world voyage he had planned, and after two years of ownership, sold her to Walter Runciman (later Viscount Runciman) Liberal MP for St. Ives. Having sailed her on the south coast of England and west coast of Scotland, he in turn sold her in 1938 to Sir William Verdon-Smith who enjoyed her for two seasons until she was bought by the Admiralty to play her part in the war effort. Post war, ALTAIR was extensively refitted and was to leave British waters under Portuguese ownership passing then to Miguel Sans Mora to be based in Barcelona until acquired by her next owners in 1985. It is largely thanks to Sans Mora’s great love for ALTAIR that during his 34 years of ownership, she was maintained in the tradition of her original build through that difficult period of “old but not yet classic”.

It was new owner Albert Obrist who, with project manager Paul Goss and Duncan Walker committed ALTAIR with almost obsessive attention to detail to the now famous restoration at Southampton Yacht Services on her owner’s insistence on absolute faithfulness to the original design – some of this dedicated and hand picked team would in due course go on to create Fairlie Restorations.

With extensive shipwrighting work complete, her walnut interior was refinished and all fittings including her original heads were restored to working order. Her rig which had been slightly shortened was restored to the full length by scarphing into the original spars. The dyed cream Dacron was developed by sail makers Ratsey & Lapthorn to resemble Egyptian cotton reflecting Obrist’s desire even for the sails to appear original. This was soon copied by other classic yachts.

ALTAIR then acquired by a well known Spanish family, was sold again in 2005 to her current American owner, who has cherished the yacht, doing everything to maintain her exactly as she should be; enjoying Mediterranean and Caribbean seasons with countless regatta successes.

Restoration:

1985-87 Southhampton Yacht Services – The restoration kept faithful to the original design. Her rig had been restored to her original height by scarfing new lengths on to the original spars. The sails were even dyed to resemble Egyptian cotton. The refit and launch of sailing yacht Altair, Pendennis 1995.

 

Provenance (The Wall of Remembrance – The Owners, Crew & Notable Guest):

Owner: (1931-1933) – Captain Guy H. MacCaw
Owner: (1933-1938) – Walter Runciman
Owner: (1938-1940) – Sir William Verdon-Smith
Owner: (1940) – the Admiralty (War Effort)
Owner: (1951-1985) – Miguel Sans Mora, Barcelona
Owner: Albert Obrist
 

 

One Comment

  1. Where is she now?
    From grandson of original owner

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.